SBUBolivar, Missouri Est. 1878

Academic information at Southwest Baptist University

Students With Disabilities

It is the policy of Southwest Baptist University to provide equal access to educational opportunities to qualified students with physical or learning disabilities, in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

When sending your Disclosure of Disability form, you may also provide documentation from an external source. This may include educational or medical records, reports and assessments created by health care providers, school psychologists, teachers, or the educational system.  This information is inclusive of documents that reflect education and accommodation history, such as Individual Education Program (IEP), Summary of Performance (SOP), and teacher observations.  External documentation will vary in its relevance and value depending on the original context, credentials of the evaluator, the level of detail provided, and the comprehensiveness of the narrative.  Disability documentation should be current or relevant but not necessarily “recent.”

Students with properly documented disabilities have the responsibility to:

  • Identify himself or herself to the Special Services Coordinator for academic disabilities and the Dean of Students for mobility disabilities in a timely manner.
  • Complete the process and make arrangements for appropriate accommodations.
  • Contact the Special Services Coordinator before the start of the academic term.
  • Assume personal responsibility for meeting with faculty to make sure they have received the accommodation recommendation from the Special Services Coordinator
  • Develop self-advocacy skills and motivation to self-reliance and independence

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students requesting accommodation will need to fill out the Disclosure of Disabilities form and return it to the Special Services Coordinator. Accommodations will only be implemented after the student’s needs are determined. After you return your form, please make an appointment or call the Special Services Coordinator to discuss your needs. The Special Services Coordinator must visit with you by phone or appointment before accommodations can be determined. Students with appropriate documentation will be provided reasonable accommodations to give student equal access.

Contact Information

Suzanne Powers
Director of Career Services and External Studies
Southwest Baptist University
1600 University Avenue
Bolivar, MO 65613
(417) 328-1689 |

Graduate Education Students

Disclosure of Disabilities Form

Contact Information

Dr. Jim Truelove, Department Chair
Graduate Studies in Education
Southwest Baptist University
1600 University Avenue
Bolivar, MO 65613
(417) 328-1517 | Fax: (417) 328-1719 |

Physical Therapy Students

ADA Disability Disclosure

Technical Standards

Contact Information

Steven G. Lesh, PhD, PT, SCS, ATC
Chair and Professor of Physical Therapy
Southwest Baptist University
1600 University Avenue
Bolivar, MO 65613
(417) 328-1670 |

Support and Service Animals

SBU permits service animals and emotional support animals for those with documented disabilities upon approval from the SBU special services coordinator. Students requesting permission for a service animal or an emotional support animal must first meet with the SBU special services coordinator.

SBU residence hall occupants are not permitted to keep pets in University housing, other than fish. A “pet” is defined as an animal kept for ordinary use and companionship.

For SBU's policies and procedures pertaining to service animals and emotional support animals, please see the Service Animal Guidelines and Emotional Support Animal Guidelines.