Welcome Week is SBU’s new student orientation program. Welcome Week provides a great
opportunity for new students, both freshmen and transfer students, to become better
acquainted with SBU and with one another. The weekend’s events will help you meet
new friends, make the transition academically, and provide opportunities for you to
begin thinking about what it means to follow Christ in a collegiate environment.
Welcome Week 2017
New freshmen and transfer students beginning at SBU in the spring 2017 semester should
attend Winter Welcome Week, January 22-24.
Welcome Week really helped me make good connections with people. The experience can
really help students get established at SBU and find a sense of community within an
Activities and traditions
- Processional — The Welcome Week processional is the first tradition you will participate in at
SBU! This walk will be one you make on your first day as a student at SBU on move-in
day and on your last at graduation.
- Black Squirrel Affair — Though black squirrels are rare, it is an experience to encounter one here in Bolivar,
Mo. We plan the Black Squirrel Affair to be a fun and memorable experience our students
look forward to each year!
- Faculty/Staff Dinner — Enjoy a meal, fun and games in a home-like environment as faculty and staff members
open up their homes to Welcome Week groups each year.
- B-Town Excursion — The B-Town Excursion is an opportunity to give back to our local community. During
Welcome Week, we spend a few hours learning about local organizations and helping
them in whatever capacity we can.
- Saturday Night Lights — Cheer on the SBU Football team during its scrimmage game and get your first taste
of Bearcat school spirit!
Check out these pictures from Welcome Week 2015 to get a glimpse of all the fun you
will have when you come to SBU Welcome Week!