International Studies Guidelines
SBU offers opportunities within the list of approved programs, for one semester of study overseas or at other locations within the United States. Please note the following:
- Arrangement for tuition, fees and transfer of credit is managed through SBU. Students are responsible for application fees and deposits to study abroad programs. Students may receive one semester of financial aid. Beginning with the fall 2009 semester, institutional scholarships will not be transferable to study abroad programs for new students.
- Most programs require a student to have completed two years of university-level study.
- Students must have a grade point average of 2.75.
- Students must have completed English Composition II or Honors English. If the language of the host country is other than English, students must have sufficient command of the language to benefit from lectures or be enrolled in a language instruction program in the host country.
- Courses to be taken overseas must be approved by the major adviser and the director of external studies.
- Students planning to study abroad should begin the application process through the study abroad coordinator a semester before their planned study.
- All courses must be taken for letter grades and will be posted to the student's transcript once the student requests an official transcript.