Finding the Right Fit
Choosing a college is a big step. Most likely, you’ll spend the next four years of your life on the campus you select. While no one school is right for everyone, there are questions to ask that will help you find the university or college that’s right for you. The questions below are a good guide. Also, feel free to talk with anyone in our admissions department about SBU. We’re here to answer your questions and put your mind at ease about one of the most important decisions you’ll make in your life.
Ten Questions to Help You Find the Right College Home
1. Is the school I’m considering large enough to meet my academic needs and small enough so that I won’t get lost in the crowd?
SBU enrolls approximately 3,600 students, including 817 graduate students. We offer 12 degrees in over 45 areas of study. More than 1,570 of our undergraduate students attend classes on the Bolivar, MO campus and approximately 1,000 undergraduate students attend classes off-site. Compared to state universities and even large private colleges, we’re the ideal size for forming close relationships and getting to know your professors.
2. Is the college accredited?
Don’t assume — ask. Your college needs to be accredited in order to properly prepare you for your post-graduation plans.
SBU is accredited by the following organizations:
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs
- National Association of Schools of Music
- National League of Nursing
- Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
- American Physical Therapy Association
3. Does the college support my faith? Will I grow spiritually while I’m there or be constantly battling to uphold my personal moral code?
SBU is committed to being Christ-centered in every facet of University life and preparing students to be servant leaders in a global society.
4. Does the university offer scholarships, grants and financial aid to help me afford attending?
5. How do the tuition and fees compare to other colleges?
6. Does the college offer the major(s) I’m interested in?
7. Is the campus as far — or near — home as I want to be?
SBU is located about 30 minutes north of Springfield, MO, in Bolivar, a town of approximately 10,000 people.
8. Is the faculty available to students outside of class?
More than 300 faculty and staff members on our four campuses serve SBU students. With a student/faculty ratio of 14:1, students are assured close, supportive relationships with professors that extend well beyond the classroom.
9. Do admissions counselors answer my questions and get back to me when they say they will?
Our admissions staff prides itself in getting back to prospective students quickly, usually by phone or email. Because our university is small, you never need to worry about being just a number to us. We care about you and want to help you work things out to attend SBU.
10. Does the campus offer organizations and sports that interest me and that I’ll want to be part of?
We offer 33 different campus organizations to fit a broad range of interests — everything from intramural teams to Enactus (Enactus) and from Forensics to theatre and music groups.
In addition, the SBU Bearcats are a member of NCAA Division II and the MIAA Conferences. We offer 16 sports including baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, football, men’s golf, women’s soccer, softball, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s track and field and volleyball.