SBUBolivar, Missouri Est. 1878

Residence Life at SBU

Housing/Residence Life FAQ

How do I choose where to live?
Students 21 or under are required to live in university housing. Students may choose to live in any of the eight residence halls located on campus. All residence hall facilities are open to freshmen and upper-classmen. Students wishing to apply for apartment living must be of junior or senior status, or require year-round housing accommodations, or have special housing needs.

Housing assignments are prioritized according to special needs, class status/age, date application was received, and prepayment fee. It is recommended that you turn in your housing contract as soon as possible, in order to receive the residence hall and roommate of your choice. Every effort will be made to accommodate student housing requests. Residence Life reserves the right to prioritize housing assignments according to availability and information submitted by the student. Residence Life cannot guarantee that the preferred residence hall of choice will be granted.

What if I want to choose my own roommate?
First-year or returning students who want to live together should request one another on the residence hall application and fill out the community considerations section. Preferred roommates should mail their housing applications separately. Please do not delay in sending in your applications if your roommate has not done so. It is more important that you send your application in early than to wait on your roommate. You can always contact the Residence Life Office at 417.328.1825 to make changes after submitting your application.

Residence Life cannot guarantee that preferred roommates will be assigned together. Students who do not designate a mutual request for each other will be assigned a roommate. All students can request a room assignment change after the first two weeks of classes each semester. After an assignment is made, students may not change their assignment without the approval of the Resident Director, Housing Coordinator, and Director of Residence Life. For more information, please contact the Student Life Office.

May I have a private room?
An additional private room charge will be assessed accordingly for those residents who request a private room. Please contact the Residence Life Department for more information regarding the cost for a private room.

When can I move into my room?
Freshmen are highly recommended to attend the new student orientation called Welcome Week. Students may move into their residence hall the first day of Welcome Week and will be notified by the Office of Student Life.

Returning students may check-in the Saturday and Sunday before the first day of classes between the hours of 2-9 p.m. All students must check-in with the residence hall staff at the residence hall office and/or an assistant apartment manager as applicable.

What should I bring?
Students are encouraged to personalize and decorate their room. Students may bring additional furniture but are not allowed to remove furniture from the room. Students are recommended to bring the following:

  • Bed sheets, pillows and blankets (Check out the SBU linens program.)
  • Towels and wash-clothes
  • Soap and shampoo
  • Shower bucket/caddy for shower items
  • Laundry and cleaning supplies
  • Trash can/bags
  • Television/VCR/DVD
  • Stereo headphones
  • Alarm clock
  • Lamp
  • Carpet/rugs
  • Hangers
  • Popcorn popper
  • Toaster
  • Mini-fridge (3 cubic feet)
  • Utensils
  • Crock Pot
  • Room decorations/sticky tack/3M poster strips

What electrical items are allowed?
Students should bring a power-surge protector strip for electrical appliances. Students may bring stereos, tv's, VCR's, hair dryers, shavers, computers, clothing irons, crock pots, coffee pots, and air popcorn poppers.

What items are not allowed?
Students are not allowed to bring the following electrical or cooking appliances (except for apartment units: amplifiers, halogen lamps, heating units, open-coiled appliances, hot-plates, Bunsen burners, electric skillets (e.g. George Foreman grills), toaster ovens, deep fat fryers, and microwaves. Microwaves are provided in each residence hall.

The following items are not allowed in the residence halls as well: candles, incense, fireworks, firearms, flammable items, pets (other than fish), alcoholic beverages or containers, tobacco products, drugs or paraphanellia, any item that may be misconstrued as a weapon.

Loft Guidelines

  • Include original bed frame and mattress (bed frames vary from 6'4" to 6'8" in length and are 3'2" wide).
  • Use 4x4s for the posts, 2x4s and 4x6s for the frame.
  • Use bolts, not nails.
  • Loft, springs or mattress must be 6' or less in height. Due to ceiling fans, height needs to be 70" or less in Maupin and Memorial Halls.
  • Lofts need to be freestanding i.e., not attached to walls, floor or ceiling, no wiring attached.
  • Keep one-third of room air space clear.
  • Keep loft clear of smoke detectors, windows, heaters and doorways.
  • Keep flammable material, such as paneling, tapestries, curtains, posters or fish net away from loft.
  • Remove loft at the end of the academic year.
  • Lofts must be checked by the Resident Director.
  • Lofts are allowed in all residence halls.


Who is responsible for cleaning my room?
Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms, bathroom suites, and/or apartments. Residence halls with community restrooms are cleaned by the housekeeping staff. Students may check-out a vacuum cleaner located in each residence hall office.

Are my personal belongings insured?
The university is not responsible for any theft, loss, or damage of students' personal property. It is recommended that students obtain renter's insurance through their insurance provider.

Can I change my meal plan option?
Please contact the Office of Residence Life to change your meal plan option. Students may only downgrade to a lower meal plan after the first two weeks into the semester. Students may upgrade their meal plan anytime during the semester. Prices are subject to change on a yearly basis.

Where will I get my mail?
Mail is delivered to the campus mail room and distributed to each residence hall and apartment. Mail boxes are located in the residence hall lounge and office area. Hall addresses are listed under each residence hall icon listed on the website.

What are the residence hall policies?
All students must sign and obtain a student life handbook/planner from their Resident Director. This handbook/planner provides you with specific information regarding student services and university policies. This publication also provides you with information regarding your rights and responsibilities as a resident of university housing.

Where is the Residence Life Department located?
The Residence Life Department/Housing Services is located in the Goodson Student Union building in the Student Life Office. We are open from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. You may also reach us at 417.328.1885. Our fax number is 417.328.1579.

Are my personal belongings insured?
The university is not responsible for any theft, loss, or damage of students' personal property. It is recommended that students obtain renter's insurance through their insurance provider. You can find more information at or